Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
Thank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart
**** OFFER FOR THE WINTER MONTHS 2008-9
When I am not on Leros, here is what I call home
Authentic Tuscan Home
Beautiful Tranquil Location with Great
VIEW FROM THE GARDEN
The best alternative to sailing in Greece...is relaxing in the countryside in central Italy, here on the southern border of Tuscany where the gentle hills of Umbria begin.
I have created this unique living space from a Roman Watchtower. This property is part of the Sorbello estate whose history reaches far back in time.
Location: Cortona-30 minutes away, Rome- 2 hours drive, Florence- 1.5
Stone Colonica Farmhouse - 1 Bedroom - 1 Bath - (apartment sleeps 2)
May 2-June 20 special 2 week or 1 month rate*
Enjoy the Tuscan-Umbrian countryside without spending a fortune.
Affordable rates for an authentic Italian country home in the perfect setting.
Experience Italian country life as a traveler - not a tourist.
-Stunning location, convenient for touring
-authentic Tuscan home, antique furnishings
-quiet and privacy, patio and garden
-close to shopping (10 minute drive)
-microwave, toaster oven, washing machine
Do you enjoy getting to know the culture of the country that you visit? Do you enjoy authenticity rather than touristic makeovers?
This is a very special place, for special people.
Come stay in the comfort,tranquility and privacy of my hillside Tuscan home in the beautiful rural area of the Niccone River Valley between the towns of Mercatale-di-Cortona and Umbertide.
"Torre del Grano" was first built as a Roman watch tower,my one bedroom apartment is carved out of this ancient tower with 4 foot thick stone walls. The rest of the colonica is an historical, 14th century traditional stone structure which was previously a granery.
The colonica is located on the extensive old family estate of Sorbello,on the southern border of Tuscany.
Torre del Grano sits in a clearing just bordering on the woods, the valley fanning out below providing spectacular views all around. During all the seasons the area is full of the magical light of Tuscany. From sunrise to sunset you are provided with the views that you dream of. Enjoy your morning coffee listening to the birds sing while seated in the stonewall enclosed patio, and savor your evening wine as the woodlands and meadows go to sleep.
From the river come the sounds of the frogs chirping away in harmony with the nightingales on spring and summer nights.It is so peaceful and enjoyable here that once you are here, you may not wish to go touring. . .
Enjoy the Italian country life as well as touring in both Tuscany and Umbria.
The cities of Siena, Deruta, Assisi, Todi, Gubbio, Perugia, and Arezzo are all within an hour's drive or less.
This is a wonderful area for walking, trails lead off from the house. For avid walkers, town is about 7 miles away by the back road.
There is plenty of patio and lawn-garden space for your outdoor enjoyment. Patio furniture is provided.
My home is full of ambiance, furnished in a comfortable, tasteful Tuscan old style with many antique pieces as well. This is not seudo Tuscan, this is a real home, and I like to share my personal environment while I am away.
The kitchen, is simple farm style, it has everything you will need for preparing meals at home,especially Italian meals!
The cooking top is gas, brand new. My fridge is from the 50's, it is fully functional and one of a kind! A new micro has just been purchased.
My love of the fine arts is reflected in the unique decor. There is a preference for the traditional and "old fashioned" over modern. If you like the same, you will appreciate my environment. Please consider that there is limited assistance, so for first time visitors to Italy, this may not be the best choice.
The Nicone Valley is the most friendly area I have found in my 30+ years in Italy, it is still very agricultural.
THIS IS A SAFE ENJOYABLE COUNTRY ENVIRONMENT FOR SINGLE WOMAN TRAVELERSa
The apartment is available when I am working abroad. Come and stay in my home in this wonderful area, I wish to share it with others at a reasonable cost. Feel free to email me with any questions.
A wood burning stove is my main source for heating, so if you stay between November and April you will need to use this method of heating. This stove is not difficult to use. The wood is located in the barn 30'from the house.
April and sometimes May can still be chilly. Whether or not you will require heating at that time depends on what you are used to.
*Spring Special please inquire
LOW WINTER RATES
FOR LONG STAYS OF ONE MONTH OR MORE
Would you like to spend an economical WINTER in Italy?
Contact me for details of one to three month stays.
**** OFFER FOR THE WINTER MONTHS 2008-9
BETWEEN DECEMBER AND MARCH ONLY
Dates available: 2015: May-October 10; December 12-January 2016, February-2016
- THE LOCAL ENVIRONMENT Two grocery stores, three cafes, a pharmacy, post office, and bank are to be found in Mercatale di Cortona, about 5 miles away,it has The larger town of Umbertide is only 10 kilometers away with more shops and variety.DSL may be available for extended stays,there is internet access in both Mercatale and Umbertide. SHOPPING The weekly markets (Wednesday in Umbertide)here are full of wonderful cheeses,salami and prosciutto, the wonderful crusty bread, plenty of wines, you never need to cook and yet still enjoy wonderful Tuscan/Umbrian food at home. The local delicatessen "rosticeria" as well as the supermarkets sell many prepared foods for your Tuscan culinary experience. "Dine in" as if you were out to dinner, and save! The "Girasoli di Sant'Andrea," Winery and Restaurant is just 5 minutes away. Here they also offer tours of the winery.
- § True rural ambiance, friendly area, hiking from the house, (extensive mapped walking trails in this valley and surrounding area) trattorias & restaurants nearby, (organic restaurant and organic produce available for sale within walking distance at The Capannine Ristoro Biologico), concerts, village festivals. Personal notes and recommendations provided indicating my favorite places to visit, for dining, shopping, touring. Car available for longer rental periods, Fiat Brava in excellent condition-(stick shift) at very reasonable rates for stays of three weeks or more. Pickup at the train station available, euro 40 for pick up at the Terontola station on the main Rome-Florence, alternatively, 20 euro at the Umbertide station, which is on a secondary line requiring a train change from either Rome or Firenze.
Great local Music club and light dining, small intimate atmophere
- Mountain Biking
- Hot Springs "Local's" Spa Citta di Castello
- Cinemas - Umbertide
- Live Theatre & Concerts - Umbertide and surrounding towns
- Horseback Riding - Lago Trasimeno (Podere La Rosa Canina)
Rates (in Euros ):
Low Season . November-March EURO - ?600/two weeks ?850/three weeks
High Season . May-September ?600/7-10 days ?750/two weeks ?900/three weeks
Monthly Rental: Low Season- ?800 High Season- ?970 Cleaning Fee: ?80.
Electricity included May-September
Heating/Wood NOT included
Non refundable deposit required at the time of reservation.
Full payment due two months before rental period.
? 300. Winter 2-3 month stay: Please inquire
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
Personal Currency Assistant?
Dates available: 2011: May-September; December-January-February-March